Monday, June 8, 2009

Punk rock prom queen.


This weekend, as I said before, my roommates were all in Paris. Saturday, I went to the British Museum for a little while. But Sunday I went to Camden Market to explore all the shops and the nonsense.

Camden is a community known for its humongous market and for its... diverse crowd. Punks, hippies, Bangladeshi and Pakistani people, ravers, hipsters, Japanese and old people alike all gather in the hundreds of market stalls.

When I got off the tube at Camden High Street, the first couple shops around me were definitely punk-oriented--loads of spikes, neon fishnets, and things to pierce yourself with. I was a bit out of place in my cardigan sweater but it was fun so I carried on.


There are different markets of the three or four main streets; I found myself in the Stables, which used to be actual horse stables under the Camden Lock bridge but were converted into an outdoor market years ago.

It was vintage every-which-way! I was overwhelmed; were just those vintage markets there by themselves I could have spent all day browsing, but they were just one of the many, many awesome things I had to look at.

I finally bought a vintage dress from Berty & Gerty, which I love. It's blue, knee-length, fits me like a glove and was only £s;15. When you see something you really like, it fits like it's made for you, and it's that price, you HAVE to buy it. I'm just saying.

I also bought a birthday present for someone, but I cannot divulge because it's a surprise. But it's gorgeous.




AND! I bought a giiiiiiant doughnut! Chocolate and almond-covered with Bavarian cream inside. Fresh and homemade. Mmmm. AND! I got an adorable little panda pin from this store that exclusively sold items with adorable cartoon animals on them and phrases in badly worded Engrish.


There was also a store called Cyberdog that you'd have to see to believe. Four phrases: Robots. Blacklights. Rave music. Go-go dancers. And this was all in a store. You couldn't take photos inside but I got one of the outside which would probably give you a good enough impression.

So all in all a good day. I came home exhausted, which is (sometimes) a sign of a very productive day.

Love,
AMY

No comments:

Post a Comment